Friday, April 3, 2009

(1/9/2007) I'm in LOVE...

...with a 10 year old. His name is Abenezer and I want to adopt him and his sister. Her name is Tsion. I had no idea that they were related until today. All the kids are just AMAZING! So many beautiful eyes, open hearts and loving smiles. They have so little but give so much. For example, some kids have siblings in AHOPE, which is the children's home for kids who have HIV/AIDS. On Christmas Day, which was Jan 7th, the siblings from AHOPE came over as a surprise visit. They normally get to see each other once in 2 weeks for only an hour. But since it was Christmas, the volunteers thought it would be a nice thing to bring families together. Anyways, the kids at the place I volunteer only got one gift from Santa, since there are a 150+ kids. But the all the kids gave their one gift they got to their siblings from AHOPE...my heart melted at this generosity. One brother and sister is Yubsika and Kidist. Yubsika is only 10 or 11, and he is the best big brother I have ever seen. He absolutely adores his little sister, and treats her like a princess. He traded his air soft gun(?) for a Barbie, so he could give her a present. Since he only gets to see her once in two weeks, he is always asking about her and how she is doing...it is the most adorable thing I have seen. Thankfully, a family in WA has adopted them and soon they will be living under the same roof. Every moment with them is so rewarding, and eye opening. I wish I could adopt everyone there.

Today, my boss - IVY...who is a tough petite women from New Jersey, and is the complete Jersey girl, including the Jewishness and biker chick look with a sensitive soul, adopted her first son today - Alazar (2yrs old). It was really exciting being here for that, since so many other volunteers have known her, we get to experience this transition phase with her. So , last night we decided it was going to be her last night as a single lady...since tomorrow she will have a short bald man as the apple of her eye. We went to Aladdin restaurant and ordered about 16 dishes btwn 7 of us. We shared everything which was so much fun. Afterwards, we headed to the Black Rose, a bar. It was tight....dim lighting...w/ candles and cushions everywhere. We ordered drinks, and being a klutz - I broke a glass...embarrassing...oh well! Anyways after some dancing, and Icelandic men scarring the shit of me, we called the night in and headed home. We blasted 80's music in the van, and sang our hearts out...even to Free Fallin' by Mr Petty...it was awesomeness.

Back the children's home, I have been just getting to know the kids and vice versa. They have nicknamed me HaNi (which is my name backwards...they think that is hilarious) and Oregon...since thats the state I'm from. When you meet the kids...they ask you two questions
1)What is your name?
2) What is your state?

The second question is pertinent since all the kids are adopted into one of the 50 states. Once they get a family...they try to get to know everything about their state. We have a lot of children going to WA, MI MN and MO. One sibling set is going to Salem, Oregon...yeah! However, Abenezer still doesn't have a family...but it shouldn't be too much longer. I hope its in OR or WA so I can visit. I love his spirit. He is so compassionate and wild. He just comes up to me, and grabs my hand to put around him. He also jumps on my back without warning, punches and kicks me like no other and loves to play anything with me. But the best part is when he just sits on my lap...or shoulders and doesn't say a thing...just sits their...holding on to me. I absolutely adore him.Every morning he runs up to me a plants a soft Papi(kiss) on both of my cheeks and does the same when I leave...I love that too. His sister is like that too...but just a little more outspoken...a wild child! haha. She loves being held...and is just the most adorable 6 year old with beads in her hair ever. I know when she is jumping onto me because the beads make some noise...but yet she always tries to surprise me.

Outside the children home, all the people are just wonderful. Right across the street from the home is a cafe - Serene Cafe and all you need shop. The cafe has become our little hangout, when we need to take a break from the kids. Kind of like out Central Perk from the FRIENDS show. I love the coffee here! I know...you thought you would never hear me say that - I love Coffee! its literally 20 cents a cup. Now thats what I call a good deal. The cafe owner - Ahmed is super chill and chats with us all the time. Sammy, a loitering customer joins in on the fun...and the children home teachers come and drink with us too.

Anyways...tomorrow is my first weekend... and I am off to Awash Natural Park...to hike a volcanic mountain, check out the animals...and see the country side, with the volunteers and Gutu ( the music teacher) ! yeah! It will be a blast.

Hopefully, later next week I will meet up with Alula - Alex ( a local friend/contact) and check out more of the city!

Miss y'all and keep me updated on all the hot gossip.

XOXO - HaNi/ Oregon girl

jk- Niha

No comments: