Friday, April 3, 2009

Dena Nesh? (HOW ARE YOU? -Amharic) or Salam! - 1/7/2009

I reached Addis safe and sound after a grueling 16hrs plane ride. On the first flight, Angelique (from the dorms)+ a girl from a SGH + a girl from high school were on the flight....weird coincidence. I got here at about 11pm, and went straight to the volunteer house(my sleeping room) The electricity and water was out, so I pretty much settled in by candle light, and managed to cinch my hair 3 times...I am still a klutz half way around the world. the next day was Sunday, so we had breakfast at Kaldi's Coffee, which is a restaraunt version of Star bucks. The logo is copied straight from the Settle chain. It was hilarious. I ordered fries...not very Ethiopian of me. haha. Then we spent the rest of the day at the children's home. It was so much fun. They all are so gorgeous and heart warming. I made friends with some by playing a seriously amazing game of UNO, sadly I lost..haha. The girls and I just talked...well as much as we could do to the language barriers....the house moms which are just locals...can't believe I am not married. It took them convincing that I was single. they cracked me up.
Yesterday was my first official internship day...and I taught 2 classes of math...they taught me was more like it. I totally forgot about improper fractions and what 3 x 3 is...I need to go back to elementary school.
After school I cut onions and folded sheets with them (it was chore time). Then I just played with them... two little boys...dawit and abenezar think I am punching bag and always want to fight with me. The girls, lydia and yordanos want to play with me...dress up...or just girl talk. It is pretty amazing. I get to teach America, Activities and Religion class (about Hinduism...I am guest professor is what we call it) me a professor...haha!
Today is super exciting...it is Christmas here and we have a huge celebration. The kids get traditional ethiopian garb and presents and we get to see 4 goats get slaughtered for the feast...the boys are so excited by that.
I finally got to take a shower today since I arrived...I was lathering up the deodorant till now. The water finally came through the taps and shower heads and toilets. YEAH!!!

The walk to the layla house is about a 20 minute jaunt thru town. We first start on the pebble like road passing these huge mansions surrouded by brick fences (like it is in Nepal). Each house has a gate and security gaurd...love the style! Then we turn left on the street with pink house where the road is cemented. On this street are all the embassy's possible. From the DRC to the EU, AU, to Norway's, Mozambique to the every other country. After that stretch we make a left past the goat herd down a hill, cross the main street and the layla house (children's home) is just there. I love the walk to and back. Yesterday I got to kick a few times in a street pick of game of soccer! It was pretty tight - would have made you proud!

All in all it is laid back here...and I am loving it....
let me know how it is goin' with yall...but do it on my wall...it takes for ever with dial up to get to the message section of facebook.

miss ya...
Niha

No comments: