Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Lost Soul

Last night I came upon some sad and horrible news. A friend and high school mentor had passed on. He wasn't a close friend, in fact other than being Thespians and Peer Mentors we never really hung out. But we had good times...laughing, playing around the basement of SSHS with all the other peer mentors and acting on the Theater stage. We had good times together. He, Ben Gerling, was a jovial, upbeat and a kind hearted soul. I remember him being super nice and welcoming to everyone, and was all ways the heart of the party. Whoever he was with, he made them smile...including me. His passing was in May... We weren't in touch other than facebook, and I didn't really hang out with him since our lives took different paths after high school. But I have to say, that this news has impacted me deeply. I remember hearing about through the grapevine, but thought it was just an absurd rumor. But now, I know its the truth. I think I was not ready to deal with it earlier, since it hits close to home. Knowing that such a inspiring person can be in such trouble and pain and no one knew...including me. His departure isn't unnoticed, and his presence will always be with us...always. He was an active man...ROTC-airforce, Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and was senior at Oregon State, just a few weeks shy of graduation. A man of his word and lived what he valued...a man that everyone should srtive to be. His absences just makes me a little more confused, and more of a lost soul.

Ben- I shed a few tears, cried a little stream, but in the end I came out smiling...just i always did when I was with you...it always has been smiles, and everytime I think of you, it will be just so. I am blessed and thankful that I had the chance to be part of your life. Om Mani Padme Hum!

No comments: